Chinese eggplant with potatoes and green peppers, simply known as DiSanXian（地三鲜）is one very popular as well as easy chinese vegetarian recipe. The name DiSanXian means “The Three Fresh Vegetables of the Earth”. There are different variations to this popular chinese dish. Some people like to deep-fry the potatoes and eggplant first, while others prefer to simply stir-fry them. I will be deep-frying the 2 ingredients first. I find it much quicker to cook
1. Cut your eggplant in the following way: Cut it in half first, then cut the halves of the eggplant in half again. Cut into medium slices.
2. Some people simply cannot eat green peppers unless they are really super soft. I can eat them even if they are semi-cooked. So, depending on you, you can cook the green peppers for a little longer time until they reach a consistency you like.
3. When deep-frying your potatoes, be sure not to put your heat too high. Otherwise, your potatoes will get brown fast on the outside, but still uncooked inside. Likewise, a too low heat will make your potatoes oil-soggy. A trick is to put your chopsticks in the oil and check for the number of bubbles appearing at the end of the chopsticks. There shouldn’t be too many bubbles(too hot) and no bubbles at all means the oil is not hot enough yet. Thanks to mom and my old sis for that trick!
Chinese Eggplant Recipe (DiSanXian 地三鲜)
Prep Time:10 minutes
Cook time:20 minutes
Total Time:30 minutes
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cut into medium cubes
- 1 green pepper, cut in medium-sized squares
- 1 eggplant, cut in medium slices
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 tbsp dark soya sauce
- 1 tbsp light soya sauce
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- Heat oil in a deep-frying pan over medium heat. When warm, deep-fry the potatoes until golden brown. Remove, drain on kitchen paper, keep aside.
- Add the eggplant and fry until brown. Remove, drain on kitchen paper and keep aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in non-stick wok/pan over medium heat. Add green peppers and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes, until they are cooked to your taste. You could add a little bit of water to make the green peppers “softer”.
- Add the fried potatoes, fried eggplant, give it a quick stir.
- Add dark soya sauce, light soy sauce,sugar, chopped garlic. Give it a few stirs until everything is well mixed and you get the nice smell of the garlic.
- Turn off heat, remove and serve!