Keema, Kheema or Qeema is a traditional dish from Pakistan and Indian, it is usually made with minced meat, but I will be using Tofu for this keema recipe. It is a very simple Indian vegetarian recipe and so delicious too! While I was looking online for some ideas on how to make tofu keema, I found many recipes saying to place the tofu in a colander and pressing it for some time, before keeping in the fridge for 24 hours. I don’t know about this method, but I think it is very lengthy! Personally, I don’t have time to wait for the tofu to drain its water. So I went for this quick and easy recipe: First, I mashed and fried the tofu until all the water evaporates and the tofu becomes dry. After this step, I make any indian curry I want and just add the tofu, letting it simmer for 5-10 minutes. Quick and easy
Tofu Keema with peas
250g firm Tofu
3 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1 tsp fresh ginger, minced
1 tsp minced garlic
1-2 green chillies, chopped
1 cup of green peas
1 cinnamon stick
3 cardamom pods
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp garam masala powder
1 tsp cumin seeds
1. Wash the tofu and roughly mash it.
2. Heat oil in a pan and add the tofu. Add one pinch of salt and one pinch of garam masala. Cook on medium heat until the tofu becomes dry, taking care to mix often so it doesn’t stick to the pan.
3. Heat oil in a pan. Add the cinnamon, bayleaf, cardamom pods and the cumin seeds. When they start to crackle, add the onions and green chillies.
4. When translucent, add the ginger, garlic, turmeric powder, garam masala, salt and some water. Fry for 1-2 minutes.
5. Add the tomatoes and cook until a thin layer of oil forms on top.
6. Add the green peas and cover, cook for 2-3 minutes.
6. Add the tofu and mix. Cover and simmer over low heat for 5-10 minutes. The tofu will absorb the curry, so don’t add water!
7. Serve with rice or naan. Bon appetit!