Rajma is is a very popular Indian vegetarian recipe, consisting of red kidney beans in a thick curry with Indian spices. It is one of the most well-known North Indian recipes and is very easy to cook. The red kidney beans are soaked overnight and cooked in a pressure cooker. The beans should be cooked so that they are still solid, not mashed up because I will be letting the beans simmer in the sauce for some time so that they absorb the spices and flavours.
Check out other beans recipes : Dal/beans recipes.
Rajma Masala Recipe
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp garam masala powder
1 tsp garlic-ginger paste
1 green chilli, finely chopped
1 tsp kastoori methi powder
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 cup red kidney beans, soaked overnight and cooked in pressure cooker until done
3 small tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato paste
bunch of coriander leaves, chopped
1. Heat the oil in a pan, add the cumin seeds until they crackle.
2. Add the chopped onions and fry until translucent.
3. Add the garlic-ginger paste and fry for 1-2 minutes.
4. Mix the garam masala in some water to get a paste and add to the pan. Fry until the oil starts to separate.
5. Add the tomato paste and fry for 1-2 minutes. Add the chopped tomatoes and fry until the oil starts to separate.
6. Add salt, butter and kastoori methi powder, mix.
7. Add the boiled kidney beans along with some of the water from cooking the beans.
8. Lower the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
9. Add chopped coriander leaves and check for salt.