It feels like ages since I posted any new recipe! I really have to apologize for that! It’s been a pretty hectic past 2 weeks, and fortunately, I got a little break time to share with you one recipe I created. I was inspired by the Pasta E Broccoli of SeriousEats and Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze: Two Ways of OhSheGlows. The difference is that I just cook everything in one pot only. It’s kind of a mix-everything-together-and-cook recipe. Perfect recipe for students! It’s a very healthy and easy macaroni recipe, made with butternut squash and broccoli. It’s a recipe I made some time back (and managed to take step-by-step pics!) but didn’t have the time yet to post. I hope you guys enjoy!
1. You can use any kind of macaroni. After boiling the macaroni, keep some of the boiled water. I like to use that water to thicken my sauce.
2. I didn’t add any cheese to this recipe because I am already using milk. If you want though, you can add some cheese. Up to your taste!
3. This is not a typical Mauritian recipe, but I thought I would put it under that category since it’s something a Mauritian (ME!) created. =P
Healthy Macaroni with Broccoli recipe
300g macaroni (any type will do)
4 cardamom pods
3-4 cups butternut squash, cut in medium cubes (about 1/2 medium butternut squash)
1 large broccoli, cut into florets
red chilli (optional)
1. Bring a pot of water with 1 tsp of salt to boil. Add your macaroni and cook until soft. Before draining your macaroni, keep about 1/4 cup of the water left. Then, drain under cold water. Keep.
2. Heat the milk in a pot over medium heat and add the cardamom pods. Keep stiring to prevent the milk from burning at the bottom of the pot.
3. When the milk starts to boil, add the butternut squash and cook until it gets soft. Mash up the butternut cubes with your spatula.
4. Add the broccoli florets and cook until they get soft. Mash them up like with the butternut cubes.
5. The sauce should be thick by now. Otherwise, add some of the water left from boiling the macaroni to the mixture. It will help to thicken the sauce. You can add cheese (optional) at this point.
6. Add salt, pepper and red chilli (optional) to taste. Add your macaroni and mix all. Enjoy your easy and healthy vegetarian macaroni!