Cooking with tofu is one of my favorites and I absolutely love any chinese recipes with shrimp. So, this chinese recipe with tofu AND shrimps is a total win-win for me. I was looking for some chinese tofu recipes when I came across this recipe on a chinese food website and decided to try it. The original recipe used clams, octopus and other seafoods as well, but I didn’t want to have so many things in my dish. Also, it used only oyster sauce and soy sauce. I wanted a dish that would have the maximum “shrimpy” taste, so I added some hoisin sauce with the oyster sauce and decided to use only shrimps as seafood. I hope you will all enjoy this chinese recipe with tofu and shrimps!
1. Hard tofu is always recommended for frying, especially for pan-frying. I like to coat my tofu pieces with some cornstarch powder (the white powder, used as thickening agent in soups) and cut my tofu pieces slightly thick. If you cut your tofu pieces too thin, they will become crispy inside-out and not so soft inside. I cut mine about 1.5cm thick, coat with some cornstarch powder and deep-fry or pan-fry. Deep-fry works faster. The cornstarch coating prevents the tofu from easily breaking.
2. Prepare your sauce in advance. Chinese cooking is a fast process, so you should have all your ingredients ready beforehand. It prevents panic during cooking too!
Chinese Tofu Recipe with Shrimps (Stir-fry)
Prep Time:5 minutes
Cook time:15 minutes
Total Time:20 minutes
- 250g shrimps, deveined and cleaned
- 200g tofu, cut into medium squares (or about 10-15 tofu squares)
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into julienne
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- cornstarch powder
- 1/2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1/2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1/4 tbsp light soy sauce
- Lightly coat the tofu squares with some cornstarch powder.
- In a non-stick pan, heat oil over medium heat and when the pan is slightly hot, pan-fry the tofu squares. OR Heat oil in a deep-frying pot and deep-fry the tofu squares.
- Cook the tofu squares until light brown on each side. Remove and drain on kitchen paper.
- Heat oil in a non-stick wok or pan. Add chopped garlic and fry until slightly brown.
- Add the cleaned shrimps and cook for 1 minute or until the shrimps have turned pink.
- Add the green bell pepper, mix and cook for another 1 minute.
- Add the tofu squares, stir and add the sauce. Give it a few quick stirs and remove.