Coca-Cola chicken wings are very popular in Asia. Although many people believe that this dish is exclusively a chinese chicken recipe, it is also very popular in other asian countries like South Korea, Thailand and Vietnam. I have no idea where this recipe originates from. Indeed, I first discovered this chinese chicken wing recipe from my vietnami roommate back in 2006. She had bought a bottle of coke and I was surprised to see her cook chicken wings with it! Coca cola recipes? Who would have thought?! She said it’s a very common and popular Vietnami dish, which lead me to believe that Coca-cola chicken wings is a Viet recipe. Later on, while talking about chinese recipes with one chinese friend, he asked if I knew about cola chicken wing or 可乐鸡翅 (kele jichi), further adding that it’s a Chinese household recipe. On another occasion, while in the dorm kitchen, I saw one of my Korean neighbours making Cola Chicken and she said that this was a Korean recipe! Very confusing, isn’t it? For simplicity, I just classified it as a chinese chicken recipe, although it should be an asian chicken wing recipe.
Anyway, whether it is a chinese recipe or vietnami recipe or korean recipe, it doesn’t matter. What matters is that Coca-cola Chicken is awesomely delicious! Also, it makes the perfect chicken wings recipe! I never quite understood why they use coca-cola. I think it’s because of the gas and sugar in it because my mom was saying you could try with soda water as well. Hmmm, I have never tried with soda water, so I can’t really comment much about it.
These coca cola chicken wings taste wow. They have this bbq-like coating of sauce on them and the dried red chillies give them this spicy taste. I don’t know about you guys, but I can eat like 10-15 of those! I hope you all enjoy this homemade chicken wings recipe!
1. Making small cuts in the chicken enables the sauce to “enter” the meat, making it more tasty.
2. Don’t use Diet Coke. The more sugar in your coca-cola, the better it is!
3. If you have diabetes, stay away from this dish! Its sugar content is quite high.
4. Regularly check the chicken wings when cooking because once the liquid has reduced, they can easily get burnt, like mine amost did!
Coca-Cola Chinese Chicken Wings recipe
Prep Time:5 minutes
Cook time:10 minutes
Total Time:15 minutes
- 15 pieces of chicken wings
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 4 slices ginger
- 3 dried red chillies
- 1 can of coca-cola (330ml)
- 1/4 cup light soy sauce
- 2 tbsps chinese cooking wine
- Make horizontal slices through the chicken wings.
- Heat non-stick pan. Add 2 tbsps oil and when hot, add the chicken wings. Fry on both sides until golden brown.
- Remove the chicken wings and keep.
- In the same pan over medium heat, add the dried red chillies (break each into half), garlic and ginger. Lightly fry until fragrant.
- Add the light soy sauce, coca cola and cooking wine. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Add the chicken wings. Lower the heat and let the chicken wings simmer in the liquid for about 5-10 minutes or until the sauce has reduced to a glaze. Regularly check the chicken wings because once the liquid has reduced, they can easily get burnt.
- Transfer to a plate and enjoy your coca cola chicken wings!